Benefits, Application, and Use of ShrimpShield™
Probiotics in Aquaculture
ShrimpShield™ is an easy to apply, highly concentrated formula of probiotic and organic waste digesting microbes developed for use in fresh, brackish and salt water rearing and aquaculture shrimp production.
ShrimpShield™ is a direct apply product containing all the necessary nutrients, enzymes and carbon to rapidly increase the population of beneficial and desirable microbes to improve shrimp health, survival and growth.
ShrimpShield™ work in three primary ways.
- Increases immunity, health, and survival.
- The probiotic bacteria are consumed and inhibit attachment by bacteria like Vibrio, Streptococcus, and other gram-negative pathogens.
- Proper application of ShrimpShield™ creates an immense colony of beneficial and desirable bacteria that dominate the bacterial community and outcompete pathogenic bacteria through competitive exclusion.
- Improves water quality.
- Reducing Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate improves water quality and reduces the need for water changes.
- Consuming organic waste and uneaten food improves water quality by targeting the source of problems.
- Removing organic waste.
- Organic waste is consumed by bacteria, used as nutrients, and finally metabolized into water, carbon dioxide, and bacterial biomass removing organic sludge.
- Uneaten food is consumed by beneficial bacteria and these bacteria are consumed by shrimp increasing feed conversion rates.
- Organic waste is no longer present to produce odors, sludge, or pollution improving pond bottoms in aquaculture shrimp production.
Of the many benefits gained by adding ShrimpShield™ to your operation increased survival, improved growth rates, and improved feed conversion rates are the most noted. ShrimpShield™ is proven around the globe to increase survival up to 100%. Many operations have seen survival increase between 35% and 50%. Improved feed conversion and better water quality mean shrimp spend more energy adding weight rather than fighting disease and filthy conditions.
Increases in growth rates are documented between 10% and 35%. Feed tends to be the most expensive portion of production costs and improving feed conversion saves you money.
Other benefits include more consistent sized animals, improved stress tolerance, reduction or elimination of antibiotic use, reduced water exchanges, lower electrical demand, and improved flavor and texture. Additional benefits reported from clients around the globe are discussed in Chart 1.
ShrimpShield™ is reported to reduce the stress of shrimp and shrimp farmers. Including ShrimpShield™ offers peace of mind in knowing your crop is protected even if you are not there. You can sleep better knowing ShrimpShield™ is protecting your investment scientifically.
All of the benefits of using ShrimpShield™ result in increased yield and ultimately more profit in aquaculture shrimp production.
Animal Immunity: Through competitive exclusion the probiotic formula in ShrimpShield™ inhibits disease and pathogens and improves the animal’s ability to fend off infection. Improved water quality leads to reduced stress and more energy devoted to defend against illness.
Stress Tolerance: Improved water quality means a healthier living environment, and improved immunity allow animals to cope with stresses like temporary low oxygen events, transfers from nursery to grow out, etc.
Disease Resistance: The addition of beneficial and probiotic bacteria help to manage the bacterial community to reduce the amount of pathogenic bacteria in water and the shrimp gut through competitive exclusion.
Growth Consistency: ShrimpShield™ causes shrimp to grow more consistent size class by improving immunity and feed conversion rates. Consistent size reduces food competition and makes harvest faster and easier.
Increase Survival: Increased immunity, improved water quality, and more consistent size contribute to more animals surviving to harvest. This is one of the easiest and most reliable measures of effectiveness.
Improves Feed Conversion Rates: The Waste & Sludge Reducer™ bacteria in ShrimpShield™ consume uneaten and undigested feed and convert it into available protein in the form of additional bacteria that is consumed by shrimp. This means lower feed costs and higher animal weights at harvest.